- Social Initiatives
Task Name: To sensitize the farming community about the preventive measures from the infestation of COVID-19 while performing the agricultural operations
- Start Date: 27/03/2020
Brief about initiative (100 words):
- Agromet Advisory Bulletins, with special emphasis on COVID-19, are being issued by the Agromet Field Unit, IIT Roorkee under Gramin Krishi Mausam Sewa Project after declaration of complete lockdown in the country. Since, that time was very sensitive in crop point of view due to harvesting of Rabi crops; hence, farmers must have to be sensitized about the preventive measures against the infestation of COVID-19. Looking to the above mentioned facts, initiatives have been taken by the Agromet Field Unit (AMFU), IIT Roorkee to sensitize and educate the farmers of Dehradun, Haridwar and Pauri Garhwal districts through Agromet Advisory Bulletins with special reference to COVID-19.
- Expected number of Beneficiaries: >50,000 registered farmers (mkisan portal, Facebook page, WhatsApp group, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) of Dehradun, Haridwar and Pauri Garhwal districts of Uttarakhand are being benefitted by these special advisories on COVID-19.
- Under the task, every Tuesday and Friday Agromet Advisory Bulletins with special reference to COVID-19 are being issued to the farmers and other stakeholders.
- To disseminate the advisories to the farmers, the following platforms are being used-
- Through a WhatsApp group of farmers and stakeholders
- Through the website http://gkms.iitr.ac.in/ of AMFU, IIT Roorkee
- Through the mobile App ‘MAUSAM’ developed by the AMFU, IIT Roorkee
- Through Hindi and English leading newspapers from time to time
- Through various social media platforms viz. Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram, etc.
- Through mobile phones
- Ajit K. Chaturvedi, Director, IIT Roorkee, released a video on the mobile app "MAUSAM", urging farmers to stay connected with the app and website to continue taking advantage of this service under COVID-19 situation.
Webinar on “COVID - 19 and AGRICULTURE”
The Regional Coordinating Institute (RCI), Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) & Agromet Field Unit (AMFU), Department of Water Resources Development & Management (WRD&M), IIT Roorkee jointly organized a webinar on “Covid-19 and Agriculture” on 16th May 2020. The main objective of the webinar was to sensitize the participants about agricultural operations and management of animal husbandry during COVID-19 pandemic crisis. The experts from various fields shared their views in the webinar. They described in detail that how to manage the farm operations, animal husbandry and water management in the pandemic situation. The experts described that how weather based Agromet Advisory Services (AAS) would be helpful during COVID-19.